Monday 28 January 2013

Why Three Options?




I'm going to start with a confession: Over the course of my time as a student I have spent a lot of time in coffee shops. Starbucks. Costa. Nero. You name it, I've been there. One of the things which intrigues me about said coffee shops is that they tend to offer three different sizes of hot beverage. Small, Medium, Large. Tall, Grande, Venti. Primo, Medio, Massimo.

Why three?

 
Could it be that there are precisely three different types of people who buy coffee, each preferring their own exact drink size? 

Given that the actual sizes of mugs differ between the franchises, I think not.

Could it be that the manufacturers of mugs only do precisely three sizes?

Unlikely.

Or, could it be that coffee shops know some behavioural economics?


When offered three options we are likely to prefer the middle one. This is because we are risk-averse and regret-averse; we want to avoid being on an extreme. If offered two sizes of drink, we'll choose whichever one we like. If offered ten, we'll be overwhelmed by the choice. If offered three, we're likely to choose Medium; Grande; Medio.

Of course the thirsty will still go for the Large, and the thrifty for the Small. But by offering three options Starbucks, Costa and Nero maximise their revenue. They cater for all and simultaneously nudge people who would have bought Small into purchasing more coffee. 

So there you go: not all my time in coffee shops was wasted...

2 comments:

  1. I believe there is a causal link between size of coffee and who is paying. If it's on expenses then of course it's a large if I'm paying then I couldn't possibly manage one that size. Also there is a link between coffee size and the 'how long can I blag the free WiFi' factor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! But if a friend is paying one might choose small, so not to cost them too much... And is the free WiFi all you entered you cafe for? Is the coffee just an excuse to sit in a nice environment on the iPhone??

      Delete